Cholesterol and Eating Food that is Low in Saturated Fat
Review: A low
cholesterol diet can be attained by eating food which is
low in saturated fat and which concentrates on the
• Use of herbs instead of salt in
• Consumption of fat free, skimmed, or 1%
• Watching out for bottled and canned
drinks and especially for sports beverages - many are
very high in sodium, calories, and sugar.
• Choosing lean meats only. Enjoy white
meats, fish, and poultry instead of red meats.
• Eating plenty of fish.
• Enjoying only skinless poultry.
• Selecting plenty of whole grain
• Eating lots of fruits.
• Reading food labels and choosing foods
low in fat, especially saturated, polyunsaturated, and
hydrogenated fats, sodium, and cholesterol.
• Choosing fresh rather than processed,
spiced, prepared, pickled or tinned foods. If you can’t
find fresh products out of season, try frozen foods which
have no sauces or other ingredients added to
• Eating lots of vegetables.
Read on for information about Cholesterol and Children